Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vitaly's Story part II

Day Six: "Thanksgiving" 11:30 a.m.-Taxi to MaripolIfeel today will be a good day. I know we will find our son today. We have departed in a taxi, which must be 30 years old. Larry and I are laughing, because it has to be the oldest one around. It has snowed overnight and the roads are very bad. We almost get in a accident. We hit ice and the car has spun out of control, crossing to the other side of the road. Now, I am frightened. We are very lucky the semi that just passed was five seconds behind. Masha even looks scared.3:30 p.m.-MaripolWe are at the orphanage. Dima is waiting. The director seems very nice and the orphanage is immaculate. She takes us into her office and starts arguing with Dima. Masha looks worried. I ask her what is wrong. She says "We will be shown two boys ages 5 and 3.5" I am stunned. I wonder why we are not being shown the babies? She says this is the older orphanage. Larry and I feel completely hopeless, when in walks a beautiful and happy five year old boy (Dima). Larry takes out a toy we have brought.and plays with him. Everyone is watching. I do not know what I feel. He is a great kid, but he is five. The 3.5 year old comes in and he has Down's. He is crying, so they let him leave. Then in walks a terrific dimpled five year old (Sasha). He is very sweet and cute. I still feel they are too old. I have been dreaming of a baby and planned for one. We do not know what to do. We know we might leave Ukraine without a child. After much deliberation and heartache, I decide I do not feel the connection to adopt a five year old. (Sasha was later adopted by another IUAFN family - YEAH). We hug the boys, thank the Director and leave. When I get into the taxi, I lose it completely. I am so mad and confused! I feel betrayed, since I did not see any younger children, and thought I was going to. Larry is upset too. It is not Dima or Masha's fault, it is just circumstance. They are working very hard. I ask to find a phone. I call Cathy Harris and she tells me to return to Kyiv and the AC in the morning. She is terrific and I feel much better.

Day Seven: "Back to Kyiv" 4:00 a.m.-MaripolWe awake at 4:00a.m. It is extremely cold. We take a taxi (without heat) to the Donetsk airport one hour away. It costs $40. Our flight to Kyiv is ($265) is surreal. The plane is very old and reminds you of an old fifties movie. There is lots of ice on the runway and the plane. I am scared to death.10:30 a.m.- KyivWe arrive back at the NAC for our next appointment. We wait for two hours in the hall, before Tatiyana calls us in. We begin to look through many pictures. We pick out of many boys, but whenever Tatiyana calls they are already adopted. We go to lunch, and return to look at more pics. We cannot make up our mind.4:30 p.m.- NACIt is time for the NAC to close. Since it is a Friday, we are beginning to feel desperate. We have quite a few pictures and are debating the diagnosis. Someone hands a new picture to Masha. It is a newborn picture of a 15 month old boy. His diagnosis looks very good. We know right away. This is our son. His name is Vitaly. He is in a difficult region called Ternopil, but we do not care.7:00p.m.-KyivWe hitch a ride with the local soccer trainer. We think Masha says circus trainer, so it is very funny. His daughter is in the car. She is about six and will not look at us. Wegive her two lollipops. Her dad is quite the talker! We go to a very nice hotel. It has a brand new bathtub, three beds, and a kitchen. Larry has meat dumplings, while I eat potato dumplings. We sleep great and dream of our son.
Day Eight: "Saturday" 10:00 a.m.- KyivWe get up early and go to the train station for tickets to Ternopil. We think we are going on the 2 p.m. train, but find out there is a fast train leavining at 10 p.m. Perfect. Now, we have a whole day in Kyiv. We tour the monastary, caves, and shop. We go to an internet cafe and have dinner. Masha is very funny and great to hang around.10:00 p.m.- Train StationWe board the train for Ternopil. We are in second class theis time and are swarmed by school children. They are very interested to speak English to us.. Some of the boys are talking slang.. They ask Larry "Yo Man, Waz Up?" Masha Stays in our cabin. The bathrooms on this train are very bad.
Day Nine: "We meet Vitaly" 7:00 a.m.- TernopilWe are in Ternopil. We take a taxi to the orphanage right off the train. The orphanage workers say we must wait for the doctor. We wait two hours.9:30 a.m.- orphanageAfter a quick meeting with the doctor about Vitaly's health (very good), we are finally allowed to meet him. She asks if we want to see "All the available children?" We decline. I am so excited. When they bring him out, he begins to cry. We are strangers. We laugh (because he is so cute) and hold him. He is mine!!! I know right away. We hold him and play. He is still very upset, and has huge crocodile tears running down his face. I am very happy and kiss him. We are led to another office in the orphanage. We are shown pictures of other adopted children. The director is very nice and loves kids.Noon- TernopilWe go to the hotel. It is very expensive ($35). Our room has twin beds, little heat, and a dirty bathroom. Hot water is three times a week and twice a day. I miss it everytime! Masha, Larry and I walk the town. we find a internet cafe and a great restaurant. We go to bed early. I dream of my new baby boy.

Day Ten: "The Cookie" 1:00p.m.-TernopilWe meet Masha for lunch. We have pizza and european salad. It is very good. All the food has been pretty good so far. We go shopping and walk around the town. It is very European and quaint. We really like it.5:00p.m.We go to the orphanage to visit Vitaly. He is still upset, but lets up hold and talk to him. We have brought him some cookies. He is standing in a wooden playpen. A caregiver breaks off a piece of cookie and gives it to him. He cannot swallow solids very well, so she is hitting the back of his neck. I do not like this. Vitaly gets so excited by the cookie, he lets go of the rail and falls backward. He cannot stand on his own yet. I gasp and she picks him up. She gives him some more cookie and he lets go again. I say no more cookie! I cannot stand to see him fall. We take more pics and say good-bye.
Day Eleven: "The Walker" 1:00p.m.- TernopilLarry and I have spent the morning walking the town and shopping. We meet Masha for lunch. We have to go to the education department and meet with the inspector. He is very nice and asks why we want to adopt and other general questions. 3:30- orphanageWe see Vitaly in his play groupa. There are eleven other babies. We have brought him some juice. They stick him in an old walker. He can barely move. He will not come towards us, and backs quickly away towards his caregivers. We give him the juice and can tell he is very hungry. I wish we could bring him with us.
To be continued....

2 comments:

The McEacherns said...

So glad you found him, but also really thankful that our experience was not at all like that! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Martinfamily4 said...

Loving reminiscing with you....more of the story please :)