Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tweens

No one ever said the pre-teen years would be easy.  I have heard all of the horror stories from my friends/family that remind me (drum roll)… JUST WAIT UNTIL THE TEENS!

Well, the same friends/family never had a son with severe special needs like RAD, PTSD, Autism Spectrum, PPD and all sorts of crazy lettered diagnoses.

Yep, the “tween” years have been completely crazy!   But, add in the above SN and it is a whole new experience!  Puberty has caused my 12 year old to grow into a very tall child (in the 95%) with huge hands and size 13 shoe feet!  Include in that all of the bodily changes and then picture the following:

-          No eye contact
-          Wants to be “left alone”
-          Music rules his ears
-          No, I don’t want to, and What is the majority of his vocabulary
-          Hugs or kisses (NO WAY)
-          I am not wearing that!
-          Disgraceful looks at his sister and brother

And, now add in… tween Girls!

Vitaly has discovered the joys of a giggling, text messaging, phone calling, and note- writing girlfriend.   Unfortunately, for her Vitaly did lose his cell phone (due to inappropriate downloads from the internet that tween boys find appealing). 
So, luckily he does not have access to her texts. 
Instead, I have led him to an old dusty relic that sits in my bedroom- a home phone! 

Last night Vitaly and his “girlfriend” spent over an hour on this phone.  I would have loved to know what they discussed especially since his social skills are not as developed as others his age.  Anyway, after an hour it was his bedtime.  They took another five minutes to get off the phone, going back and forth about who is hanging up. 

I see much more tween fun to come…!

No comments: