Thursday, May 22, 2008

Staying Safe

How sad I was to hear the loss of Steven Chapman's little five year old daughter Maria. She was tragically killed in her own driveway after being hit by an SUV. For those who do not know who Steven Chapman is he is a wonderful Christian singer and a three time adoptive parent. He and his wife established a wonderful organization to aide in adoptions called Shaohanna's Hope.
http://www.stevencurtischapman.com/ My heart goes out to them.

That is one thing that so scares me everytime we pull in and out of the driveway.
My children love to play outside. In fact in our home, it is a daily requirement unless it is bitterly cold or a downpour. Otherwise, everyday a little outdoor time is so beneficial to get out those crazy enegery bunnies.

Still, everytime, I back out I am so worried about where the kids might be. If I have them all stand in front of van, I have to keep checking to make sure noone has moved. If I cannot see one of them, I must locate them first to account for their whereabouts.

It is that one instant when you are in a hurry or your mind is elsewhere or the kids suddenly run after a ball that worries me. It is the neighborhood kids driving too fast in our cul-de-sac. It is the next door neighbors not looking back. It is all the things that happen everyday.

If I could keep my kids inside, I would. But, the world is a place for exploration, fun and learning. A box closed off from the world is no place for a child. That is where their lives exsisted for the beginning years of their lives. Enclosed behind doors and windows, locked away, with sunshine and the wind very rare luxuries, if at all.

I will allow them the freedom they deserve. It is the best I can do as parent. I cannot control the future, I can only hope and pray for their safety and well-being.

No comments: