Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother's Day has always been bittersweet to me.
Through the years, my birthday has often fallen on Mother's Day.
I always thought how proud my mom was when she looked at me celebrating my birthday, on her special day.
I always loved to surprise my mom with a homemade card, some wildflowers and maybe homemade desert.
Twenty years ago, I gave my mom a card on mom's day, as she laid in the hospital struggling with the pain of complications from leukemia. It was the last mother's day, I would celebrate with her. She passed away that June. Twenty years ago this year.

Today when I came down stairs, I was greeted by some beautiful plants and cards! Smiling proudly stood my own daughter; who reminded me so much of myself at her young age.
She was so proud to have snuck in the flower surprises without me knowing; and happy to see me smile! She had inpatiently waited for three days, to retrieve her goodies she had made at school for the occassion as well. She was giddy with delight! Of course, the boys were more interested in playing their video games instead.

I hope she remembers these special days and surprises twenty years from now. The same way, I recall the special bond Mother's Day held for my mom and me.

No comments: