Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Home

Well we came home Sunday (without the teams' 100% support). They wanted to keep her another day and thank goodness we prevailed and were able to leave.

What a strong little girl she has been.

She cried and had bad dreams everynight. I woke up every hour to her crying on saturday night.
How can a parent not cry when your child says:

Dont leave me here (when I was rebooting the computer downstairs)(she was rarely left alone)
I want to go home
I want my yaya (daddy)
I dont want any medicine (crying)
I dont want to eat (crying)
I dont want to drink (crying)
My throat hurts

Well, we are home now. We still have eating/drinking and medicine issues, but they are slowly getting better.

Seeing the other children recovering at the hospital, was very heartbreaking.

Some of the children will be there for weeks, and months.

Oksana's surgery, although not easy will put her one more step on the road to her final cleft repair. She will need more surgeries, but she will recover. Her scars will be few, and in time, almost non-exsistent.

We met many families and Oksana was the only one there for cleft issues, recovering at that time. This particular Shriner's does burns, cleft repair and pinning of the ears!

The other families we met were all dealing with burn issues.

Burn babies/children are not so lucky. There recovery is slow and painful.

Please support your Shriners as they do amazing things for these children

Thank you Shriner's.

5 comments:

Meridith said...

I am so glad that you made it home. Oksana will recover so much quicker with her brothers to encourage her. Get some rest.

Jane said...

I was going to email you this morning and ask how things are going. I am glad you are back home. Children recover much quicker at home where they feel secure. I am manic about keeping my children away from anything that could burn them. I think there must be nothing worse than being burned, especially when it involves a large area of your body. I have read horror stories from people that have gone through it and somehow it's just so much worse when it is a child. One of my students had an abusive mother who plunged her hands into a pot of boiling water when she was a child-the scars on her hands are still horrendous.

Martinfamily4 said...

I am glad you are home. Praying for Oksana and the family for a speedy healing. Be Blessed.

ArtworkByRuth said...

Glad you are home and Okasana is recovering. I worked a burn unit for two years, the babies were the hardest! (Chewing on electrical cords and pulling hot things over onto them!)
Does the pain medication cause the bad dreams? R does better with plain tylenol than anything with codeine in it after three surgeries I know when to wean her from the narcotics!

Amy said...

I am glad that you are finally home! Hopefully, everything will smooth out in a few days, and you can get back on with things!
Poor little O! It is so hard to see them have to go thru so much!

Take care!

Hugs!
Amy