Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Making Thanksgiving Memories

As a child, I remember the excitement and atmosphere that Thanksgiving held for me. We would travel to my Aunt’s or Grandmother’s houses. The cousins and my brothers/sister would play oblivious to the hard work being done in the kitchen. We would dress in our Sunday best and eat at the kids table laughing and having a blast.

These are the memories I want for my children.

Unfortunately, relatives have passed or moved away and getting together is not as easy as driving an hour or two.

As the years passed, I would tell my cousins, we have got to watch them make the potatoes or gravy or turkey. What will we do without these recipes!!

Sadly there are no more Grandmother’s to cook for the kids. Aunts, cousins, brothers, sister and even my dad are either far away or have other family responsibilities to attend to.

I have now taken the role of the Matriarch for Larry's dad and sister for Holiday functions. I have learned to cook a turkey. I am still not the best with the gravy, and forget a pie crust if I can buy it!

Larry wonders why I even bother, but I know why.

I want my children to look back in awe and excitement of Thanksgiving memories and the wonderment of a day to be thankful for what you have and the family God has given you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and enjoyed (probably the wrong word) reading about your daughters recent surgery. My daughter was born with a cleft palate and had a pharangeal flap done for a second time(the first didn't stick) in September of 2006 at the University of Minnesota. It truly made a difference in Katie's speech. I could have written your hospital entries as we went through the same issues, they finally let us go home before she ate and told us to take her in if she got dehydrated. I was really shocked that they let you feed her solid foods right away as we had to be on soft foods for 2 weeks - very difficult in school! Hopefully your daughter won't have to go through anything else. Stacy in Minnesota

ArtworkByRuth said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! I am sure they had wonderful memories made!